Wednesday, February 20, 2013

 
A Brief Interruption
 
Josh Coomer and Michael Fulvio

A BARE ROOM. A CHAIR AND SMALL DESK OR TABLE.
 WALDSTOCK IS STANDING SOMEWHAT UNCOMFORTABLY .  HE GLANCES AT HIS WATCH.  WILTON, A SLEEK WOMAN DRESSED IN A SORT OF TAILORED UNIFORM ENTERS WITH A FOLDER AND PLACES IT ON THE TABLE.

 
WALDSTOCK

Excuse me…

WILTON

Yes?

WALDSTOCK

I’ve been here for a while now.

WILTON

Yes.

WALDSTOCK

Well, I was just wondering if you knew how long this might take. I was late for a meeting already when I was invited here.

WILTON

Yes. I was made aware of that fact. We do apologize for the inconvenience. We realize that there are many more important things you could be doing.

WALDSTOCK

No, no, I didn’t mean that this was unimportant…I just wanted to let my colleague know that I would be late. They made me leave my phone at the desk.

WILTON

We have sent a message to your friend. He will not be inconvenienced. (SHE SMILES)

WALDSTOCK

I see. Thank you. I really appreciate that. I’m very-

 

WILTON

Mr. Waldstock, your appreciation is noted.  We do try to be as accommodating as possible.  I’ll be with you shortly. (SHE SMILES AND GOES)

HE WAITS.  AFTER A MOMENT, WARNER ENTERS. WALDSTOCK’S BACK IS TURNED.

WARNER

They told me to wait in here.

WALDSTOCK TURNS, SEES HIM, AND DOES A DOUBLE TAKE. WARNE R IS EQUALLY SURPRISED.

WALDSTOCK

Warner! What are you doing here? I thought you were going to be at the café .

WARNER

I was. But then a public service officer came over to my table and invited me here. I told him I was waiting for a friend, but he assured me they would send you a message.  I see they did.

WALDSTOCK

No, actually. I was on my way to the district to meet you when a public service officer came up to me on the tram and invited me here.

WARNER

Odd.

WALDSTOCK

Very.

WARNER

Have you ever been invited before?

WALDSTOCK

No. I don’t know anyone who has- I mean personally….Friends of friends maybe. You?

WARNER

My cousin was. He says it’s all very routine. Just a random selection

WALDSTOCK

How funny that both of us would be “randomly selected” at the same time.

WARNER

Yes.  An amazing coincidence.

WALDSTOCK

Uncanny.

WARNER

Unbelievable.

PAUSE

WALDSTOCK

You realize that this is not a coincidence

WARNER

Yes.

WALDSTOCK

What do we do?

WARNER

I don’t know.

WALDSTOCK

I suppose we just answer the questions as truthfully as possible.

WARNER

Yes.

THEY WAIT. WARNER GLANCES AT THE FILE ON THE TABLE.

WARNER

What do you suppose is in that?

WALDSTOCK

I don’t know.

 

WARNER

Should we look? I mean it might not hurt to see what it is that they already have. It might help us know what to say.

WALDSTOCK

I don’t think that’s a good idea. They’re probably watching us right now. (POINTEDLY) And listening too.

WARNER

Oh. Yes. Of course.

WILTON ENTERS

WILTON

Thank you for waiting gentlemen. Again, we do apologize for the interruption to your personal schedules, but I can assure you that this wont take more than five minutes. I am PSO Wilton and I’ll be conducting this friendly, and completely voluntary interview. Now, you are citizen Warner?

WARNER

Yes.

WILTON

And you are citizen Waldstock?

WALDSTOCK

Yes.

WILTON

And you both agree that you are here of your own free will by invitation of the public service committee and that no threat or physical coercion was used to make you join us today?

WALDSTOCK/WARNER

Yes

WILTON

Excellent.  Now to the matter at hand. I am sure that you are both aware of the increasing problem the committee has been dealing with concerning certain spiritual philosophies that are being practiced in secret by a few, but an increasing number of, citizens. As you know,  our by-laws do not prohibit these practices. Unless , of course,  they run counter to the philosophies expressed by the majority and reflected in the views of the freely- elected members of the Public Service Committee as a whole.

WALDSTOCK

I’m sorry Ms. Wilton, but I no longer wish to voluntarily co operate.

WILTON

Really Mr. Waldstock?  I can’t say I’m surprised, but you will be happy to know that your co operation is not necessary. We have received all the intelligence we require from your friend, Mr. Warner.

WALDSTOCK

What!?

WARNER

I’m sorry.

WALDSTOCK

But you are the organizer! You recruited ME!

WARNER

Yes. But the committee made me a generous offer .  Just recant Waldstock….sign the loyalty oath. It’s all they want. Just your name on a line!

WALDSTOCK

I don’t understand.

WILTON

Mr. Waldstock, we are simply asking you to cease your associations with certain more militant followers of your philosophy. By signing the “Oath” as Mr. Warner calls it, you maintain your allegiance to the committee and renounce your participation in the gatherings that we have found to be counter to our and by “our” I mean the majority of the committee, continuing purpose. It will also give the subcommittee on information and research access to your books and papers.

WALDSTOCK

My books?

WILTON

The committee has found that many citizens possess, quite unknowingly , works of literature and history that were thought to be lost or destroyed. We make copies of these for the archive. We also assist you in curating your collection and removing those works that you no longer have use of. It’s all very helpful.

 

WALDSTOCK

And if I refuse to sign?

WARNER

That’s not an option!

WILTON

Mr Warner please. The committee appreciates your assistance, but I must ask you to allow me to answer. Of course, not signing is an option Mr. Waldstock. We will not force you… But there  will have to be some adjustments. You and your family will be relocated.

WALDSTOCK

Relocated?

WARNER

She means the camps, Waldstock!

WILTON

Mr. Warner! Let me remind you that we do not discuss the particulars of relocation. I myself am not briefed on them and do not speculate. So, Citizen Waldstock will you voluntarily sign your name to the prepared statement, endorsing all that it states and implies?

WALDSTOCK

No.

WARNER

Think this through! They’re making you an offer . You just have to accept the terms! And they really are generous terms.

WILTON

Again, Citizen Waldstock, will you sign the statement?

WALDSTOCK

No.

 

 

WILTON

The Committee notes with sadness your refusal. I believe we are finished here Mr. Warner. You may speak with the officer at the desk on your way out regarding your compensation. I thank you warmly on the Committee’s behalf.

WARNER ATTEMPTS TO CONNECT WITH

WALDSTOCK, BUT FAILS. HE GOES.

WALDSTOCK

What sort of compensation does he get? What was I worth?

WILTON

Mr. Warner will be executed before he leaves the building. The Committee has no use for his type of individual.

WALDSTOCK

Wait a minute. He helped you. He sold me out to you.

WILTON

Exactly. We have no use for a loyalty that can be bought like a commodity. Mr. Warner only helped us because the price was right. Someday someone will be able to out bid us and his kind will simply follow the reward. We have no interest in that kind of allegiance.

WALDSTOCK

So what happens now? Do you just pack me off to the camp straight from here? Will I at least get to send a message to my family?

WILTON

You are free to go. Conviction like yours can’t be changed through threats or bribery. That interests us. That makes you useful.

WALDSTOCK

I don’t-

WILTON

We know where you stand Mr. Waldstock. We know where you are. Someday these convictions of yours may prove more helpful to us than you can possibly imagine. Again, on behalf  of the Committee, I apologize for this brief interruption in your routine. Please accept our warmest wishes. (SHE SMILES)  I’ll see you out? (They GO)

 

THE END

No comments:

Post a Comment